How much to charge for Saxony hatching eggs?

Kansaseq

Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
NE Kansas
I have no idea what quality these guys are, and am wondering what I might charge?
22798_saxonies_9_mo.jpg

22798_dsc_1680.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to see side view of the male but the female looks very nice.

How much to charge is a little harder. I have seen them go from $4.00 to $25.00 per dozen on ebay and eggbid with shipping additional. If you only have the pair, then you would need to offer 1/2 dozens or per egg.

I just got 10+ eggs on ebay and paid $17.00 which included shipping. I bid on the previous auction from the same breeder and the person that won paid $22.00 plus $13.00 shipping for 10+ eggs.

If you have some eggs that you want to sell, you may want to put them on BYC for sale area to test the water. Remember that duck eggs are heavy so ask enough to cover your shipping cost or state buyer pays shipping. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thanks, Corancher. I added a side view of the drake, though it's a bit blurry. Haven't had him all that long. That's quite a price range on the eggs. I have some eating eggs advertised on CL for $2.50 half dozen, and guy wanted to know if he could hatch them out. I figure they are worth at least more than $5 a dozen, and that prompted me to ask the question.

I am very new to the breed, and am wondering if it's ok for him to have the brown patch on his head?

Last edited:
This time of year I would say it's fine to have brown, but only because he's probably molting back into his male plumage from his female plumage.

"Mallard" PATTERNED breeds go through phases. {I mean patterned by the fact that he has a different head color than the females and such.} Pekins obviously don't have visual phases, because they're all white and you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at them, for example.

The male looks very nice for the breed also. The color does change somewhat throughout the year. Mine always become somewhat faded before they molt. My male does not have any brown on his head so I am not sure about that.

Just looked at another post on Saxonys and it talks about Standards for Saxonys. There should be no brown on the head. Hopefully, he will lose that as he molts.

Last edited:
Quote:
So I'm guessing that during summer, they are in their 'female' plumage, and that he is hopefully now molting back into breeding or 'male' plumage?

I bought him and my hen ducks locally through Craig's List. I had no idea about quality, but knew I wanted some ducks and duck eggs around. They are messy, but a lot of fun.
Thank you everyone for your input and kind words. I think he is rather handsome
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom