How much to charge to process geese???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sonew123, Aug 30, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Hi all-My BIL knows I process my own birds and wants me to do all his and his two friends geese they get during hunting season-Im not kidding when I say they shoot 30 at a time-our town is overrun with them-anyhoo what do I charge I suggested 3$ a bird then he was on me fast saying Im in! Then I said-Bring me 1 bird and Ill do it to see how long it takes-Im thinking 4$ a bird-what do you all think??? will my redneck chicken plucker work on them like it does on chickens and is there anything different I need to know anatomy wise that makes them harder to empty their cavities out?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I vote $7 each.

3. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Save yourself the hassle and run now.... geese and ducks are so much harder to pluck than chickens. I would say.... $4.00 / bird if he helps or $7.00 / bird if you do it by yourself.

Trust me.... not worth it. I've done thousands of chickens and only a handful of ducks / geese and it's not because I can't raise them.... the processing just takes foreEVER! LOL.... either way good luck!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Holy crud 7$ a goose? This will be funny to watch his face when I say that! did you dunk them in hot water to help with plucking? and I have a small redneck feather plucker will it be that much harder on geese??

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:wow

6. Jared77

Jared77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Howell, MI
    Thats why he jumped on the price. Its also why many waterfowlers (Im one too) breast them out (my group plucks but its a PAIN) so something to think about. If he wants a whole bird then Id go for $7 also. If he only wants them breasted out $4 is fair. Your also smart to start with 1 and see how it goes.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

You couldn't pay me enough to pluck waterfowl. We pluck one or 2 geese a year - 1 for the christmas goose and a few ducks they are a pain.

Steve

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:typically he always breasts them out but since I do whole birds he asked if I would do them-not all of them but half of them about 15 or more-his whole group of friends -Ill tell him a price after I process 1 bird--does anybody dunk them in boiling water and use feather pluckers???

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Man Steve-that rots I guess Ill have to try 1 for myself and then tell him 10$ each LOL-thank you

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  10. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    I tried a Whizbang plucker on ducks. Didn't work to well.

I hear wax wax is the ticket.

And yes, $7, not a typo, they are going to take some time.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by