How much to charge?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ninjapoodles, Dec 10, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    (Mods, please move this if it's in the wrong section--I couldn't decide where it belonged.)

I'm thinking of thinning my numbers of Buff Orpington pullets just a little, so that I can expand my Ameraucana and Marans flocks. Most of the Orp cockerels we'll eat, but there are a couple in there that I think are really nice, in case someone could use them (and if not, into the freezer they'll go, no problem).

So, I'm wondering--what would be a fair price to ask for BO pullets right at point of lay (some of them, in fact, have already started to lay)? These are from plain old hatchery stock, but are really decent birds, and the older group I have from the same place is really producing well.

I'm not looking to make a profit, just get something close to a fair return on my investment. These birds were hatched in early July.

I'm assuming that you might offer a cockerel for free with purchase of a couple pullets? Or what would you price a cockerel at if someone should actually want to buy one?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You'll have to see what your local market is. Some places you'll be hard pressed to get 5 bucks for a girl, while in other places you'll easily get 25 or more for the same bird.

However, this time of year the prices probably run lower than in spring, since many are downsizing to reduce the mouthes to feed over winter.

3. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I was already thinking somewhere in the $5-10 range, so that sounds about right. Would $20 for a trio be out of line, you think?

4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I paid $10 for my soon to lay hens. Depending on the looks of the bird I would pay $15.

Check Craigslist and see if anyone is selling.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I think $20 for a trio would be good. I also think the $5-$10 range for Point of Lay pullets is a good price. That's what I charge.

6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:That would be 10 a piece, and dinner to boot. [​IMG]

7. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:That would be 10 a piece, and dinner to boot. [​IMG]

Well, they're dinner if they stay here, but a couple of them really are beautiful, and I was thinking what a shame it was to eat them, so maybe someone will get a reprieve. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by