How much to charge ?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 7L Farm, Jul 17, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I had some pecan trees blow over & I've been needing a wood splitter which I got & would like to sell the BBQ wood to re-coop some of the cost of the splitter . I was wondering what to charge for the wood ?

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    I have a neighbor that sells spit hickory to a few BBQ joints and he told me he gets $85.00 a cord. He cuts the trees, borrows my tractor to split it (he has a PTO spliter) , hauls it to the BBQ joint, sells it and then stacks it. It is a hard buck to be earned.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:You must be talking about a face cord.

4. mikensara

mikensara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2011
    New York
    some people around here sell camp fire wood at 5$ a bundle. Not sure if this helps you. If your paying 85$ it has best be 2 face cords. most we will pay for a face cord is 45$

5. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I think this winter, in the Austin area, I paid about $75 for 1/4 cord of "hardwood" which was mostly oak. I think it depends on your area, your competition, season and demand. I like pecan for both cooking and burning. I also like pecan, because there is less chance that I accidentally bring oak wilt into my property.

I think wood is cheaper in places where people actually use it for heat rather than for BBQ or fireplaces.

I'd say check prices in your area.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    A cord of wood is 2 feet wide 4 feet high 16 feet long. Its a ton of wood. There's no way you could sell it for 85 dollars & deliver it to boot. Not this cowboy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by