How much to close off for winter?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I have a 4x4 coop... and it has a *lot* of air going through it right now... how much should I seal up for winter?

It’s wedged between 2 trees and it’s kind of hard to take photos. So I’ve drawn some plans to hopefully make things more obvious.

front
7FE185A2-08A9-4198-B9E4-C555F972DB4E.jpeg
left side
10A0F5B9-64C6-435A-A00D-79F5DC647338.jpeg

The yellow color is ventilation. top is hardward cloth, and part of one wall is a decorative shutter with hardware cloth over it

EEAA2CD3-927F-41C3-A729-C96924A9B0E0.jpeg
There is also a small gap behind the eves on the back of the coop
389771D7-6D6E-4B31-A93A-EB1B45C8E2DA.jpeg

The birds roost about 4ft up, so basically where the hardware cloth is up the top. In summer it’s nice and cool 😂

604923B6-11F0-488A-B4CA-6E07D560FF53.jpeg

Thanks for the help!

I would leave as open as possible while keeping moving air directly off them. If the roosts are in the dead air space created by solid walls, you should be good to go.

I would leave as open as possible while keeping moving air directly off them. If the roosts are in the dead air space created by solid walls, you should be good to go.
I think that’s the problem I have, their current roost is in the breeziest part of the coop :(

There is a lower roost, but no one uses it, would they move to the lower perch if they felt cold?

You can just remove the higher perch when it starts getting really cold.

Also, you list NY as your location... so I would worry about snow ....

You might want to toss up a roof over some of the run.

You can just remove the higher perch when it starts getting really cold.

Also, you list NY as your location... so I would worry about snow ....

You might want to toss up a roof over some of the run.
oh that's a GREAT idea! and so simple. I swear don't know where my brain is sometimes...

I have a tarp over the run, and plan to add more soon! would it be a good idea to wrap the entire run up? I still need to build access from the pop door to the run right now... They been using the access door just fine and I've gotten very lazy about it.
:oops:

I have a tarp over the run, and plan to add more soon! would it be a good idea to wrap the entire run up?
You want good ventilation, but if at all possible no wind and no snow.

Usually that means a roof and 2 or 3 solid walls... but, if you get feet of snow, you might need a retaining wall to keep all of the snow from rolling into the run.

A tarp roof is more prone to collapse under a snow load. If you can hang the tarp at a steep angle, and spray it with a nonstick cooking spray, it might help shed snow a bit better... but you will still have to watch it.

Back
Top Bottom