how much to feed ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenrk, Apr 28, 2017.

1. chickenrk

chickenrk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2017
    Lake District, UK
    Hi all,

I have two ducklings who hatched last Friday - a week old. So far, I have given them complete access to chick crumb with Nutritional yeast sprinkled over it. It smells soon bad - (like vomit my husband says!) Joy! Anyway, I was wondering
    1. What ratio would you give for crumb and nutritional yeast?
    2. How much do you think two little bruisers should have per day?
    3. When do you think they can have peas etc?
    4. Will it be two weeks when i will need to add oats etc?

Thank you all very much

2. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Overrun With Chickens

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Those are my exact questions! Is brewer's yeast just the same as nutritional yeast? xx [​IMG]

3. chickenrk

Mar 18, 2017
    Lake District, UK
    Hi @Hybridchucks ,

Brewer's yeast has slightly less niacin in it than nutritional yeast as far as i can gather. :)

4. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Which one would you recommend? xx [​IMG][​IMG]

5. chickenrk

Mar 18, 2017
    Lake District, UK
    I use Nutritional yeast (flakes) which i got from a local shop. I had read that it is better with a higher niacin content, so went for that. It is very easy to sprinkle on to the food. What are you using for bedding? I am using puppy pads and then a cover of an old sheet, which i change over every day. I have Aubiose (hemp)which i am tempted to use as it is very absorbent, but having read awful things about ducklings dying when they eat bedding, i haven't been sure whether it is ok, so haven't used yet. Any ideas?

6. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    Yeah i heard they die eating bedding, weird right, I'm using wood chips so mine can't swallow, good idea puppy pads! xx

7. mlh328

mlh328 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2016
    Butte, MT
    Hi guys! I used pine shavings in my brooder, but the puppy pad idea is awesome! I used brewers yeast, that's all I could find here. As far as yeast to food, I think it's around a tablespoon of yeast per cup of food, give them constant access to food and water changing out as needed. I feed mine chopped vegetables around a week I think. They really like chopped hard boiled eggs for a treat also. I'm not sure about the oats, I just used flock raiser and then switched to an all flock pellet food because nobody carries actual duck food where I'm at. Enjoy those babies, they get big SO fast!

1 person likes this.
  8. chickenrk

Mar 18, 2017
    Lake District, UK
    Hi mlh328

thank you for the info - will see what they make of the eggs! (do they need grit with this?) I can't wait! and you are so right, they double in size every night! Thank you :)

9. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    Kicking Pokes!
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    Brewers yeast or nutritional yeast is 1 tablespoon per cup feed
    Feed needs to be available till at least around 6 weeks. Then can be taken away at night time only
    Otherwise still available all day
    I start mashing up peas and giving them to my ducklings around a week old. By 2 weeks old they can eat them whole no problem
    2-5 weeks is a huge growing period. And if your feed is higher than 17-18 % protein than oats will help cut that back.
    Be sure you offer grit or dirt from outside once you add ither foods to their menu [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by