How much to feed market broilers?

ARTsignature

Chirping
Dec 7, 2021
I will be raising some market broilers this year for an FFA project, and this is my first time ever owning chickens. I have done extensive research but the one thing I can't seem to find is exactly how much to feed them. I will have six birds. Do I need to make it available to them 24/7? Also is it okay to ferment the feed for broilers? Any suggestions are much appreciated!

I will be raising some market broilers this year for an FFA project, and this is my first time ever owning chickens. I have done extensive research but the one thing I can't seem to find is exactly how much to feed them. I will have six birds. Do I need to make it available to them 24/7? Also is it okay to ferment the feed for broilers? Any suggestions are much appreciated!
I feed my Cornish Rocks with full feeders of 20% protein until 3 weeks old; then feed 18% protein free access for 12 hours/day (removing the feeder for 12 hours). I’m not super controlling about it — sometimes I get home late & it’s more like 8 hours without. Before I started doing this (full feeder 24/7) I lost some to presumed heart problems from getting too fat too fast. It doesn’t reduce their harvest weight that I’ve noticed, and they stay on their feet longer. Good luck!

A quote off of the website “ A crumble formula, like Purina® Meat Bird Feed, is easier to eat and digest. On average, each bird will consume around 10 pounds of feed during the first 6 weeks. They will eat between 3 and 4 pounds of feed a week after 6 weeks. They may be small, but they are voracious eaters”

For the Cornish Cross meat birds try to use high protein feed. I use 24%. I've seen people use 30% and their birds do grow faster. I try to keep the feeders high enough so the birds need to stand up to eat and don't just sit there all day eating.

ive never done market broilers but I am in 4h (broilers sound so fun btw!) I’m sure some people sell special broiler feed if it were me showing I would develop my own feed that consisted of corn oats and other goodies

And also the bag of feed may say how much to feed I can try to help you look some stuff up!

Back
Top Bottom