How much to feed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OkChickens, Mar 18, 2011.

1. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I'm feeding my ducks layer pellets. How much do I feed them a day for 4 ducks, 2 Indian Runners and 2 Rouen. They will be free ranging in a large pen in a few weeks. Do I need to feed them oyster shells also? Thanks.

Nate

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    How old are they now?? You say they will be free ranging outside soon- so it makes me think they are still young but you also say they are on layer pellets which would indicate older. Oyster shell would be beneficial for them once they get close to laying age. As for feed- You can offer them free choice- or just twice a day put out enough pellets they will eat in about 5 minutes. Once when let out in the morning and once at night- but a third feed may be necessary during the winter months when they do not get as much to eat from free ranging. If you have a rodent problem- leaving food out all day or night could compound the problem. Based on how quickly mine go through a 20 Kg bag- my ducks eat around 230 grams each per day of pellets.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have 3 runners. Now 7.5 months old.
    They eat about 3-4 cups a day of food, PLUS veggies and whatever they find out in the yard. Bugs are back and they take off running after and snacking on those now too.
    I was able to leave their food down at night during the winter, but last fall a little mouse would share with them. I'm figuring I'll have to pick up their dish at night again soon.

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Sorry I forgot to say they are 1 year old! 3 females and 1 male! Would a 1/2 a coffee can work? When I feed it they eat it but not all of it. Thank you for the responses! Keep em coming!

Nate

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by