How much to pay someone to care for 33 birds?

texasnative

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
I first titled the post “how much for a chicken tender?” and figured that would be confusing :) Anyway my neighbor lives in the City and has a weekend farm in the country- several acre property with about 33 birds mostly chickens and a few guineas and turkeys. He only comes out on the weekends and needs someone to tend to his flock Monday through Friday. They have a big coop and then free range over the acreage during the day. He wants them locked in at night and let out in the morning plus fed and watered, eggs collected, and whatever other miscellaneous done to care for them. Plus he’s got a very large vegetable garden that has to be watered. How much per day is a fair rate for this chicken and garden care job? This is in north Texas just outside of Dallas.

Do you know how much time it would take per day? I don't know that area in particular, but I know that I would charge more for 3 hours of work than for a half hour of work in a day!
It probably takes 20 to 30 minutes twice a day just for chicken stuff. But the watering can take an hour. Plus every week or so the area needs mowing and weed wacked to keep the snakes and critters away- that’s another couple hours a week

It probably takes 20 to 30 minutes twice a day just for chicken stuff. But the watering can take an hour. Plus every week or so the area needs mowing and weed wacked to keep the snakes and critters away- that’s another couple hours a week
So that's at least two hours each day, plus another two or more hours once a week.

@Parront suggested "at least minimum wage," and I would say that's a good starting point: do NOT charge less than minimum wage, but seriously consider charging more.

If you know what rate people charge for dog walking, lawn mowing, or leaf raking, then you should charge at least as much as they do.

Maybe this helps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210718-112244_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210718-112244_Chrome.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 28

Back
Top Bottom