How much to price my hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Lacybee, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Lacybee

Lacybee In the Brooder

Apr 14, 2018
    How do I price my hens. I'm planning to start a new flock and I want to sell my Ameraucanas and my Australorp. My Ameraucanas are a year and a half old and my Australorp is 2 years old. They lay Everyday and I believe their eggs are in good shape. I'll post pictures but I'm planning to sell them this week so I can start on that new flocks. I need some suggestions thank you :)

2. chickenE

chickenE Songster

Apr 30, 2017
    Cary, NC
    $20 - $25 would be a guess.

3. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Locally, Australorps I would do $10 on, especially in the spring when laying season is about to start. Ameraucanas I would go $20-25 on (chicks cost $18. Must lay blue eggs). If they're Easter Eggers (lay green or brown or blue eggs, have green legs) $10.

I'd say more, but honestly, after 18 months are up, the best egg-laying days of their lives are behind them, as you probably know. I would pay $12-15 for a POL pullet at Belknap auction, this time of year, any layer breed.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member 5 Years

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Or at least they may stop laying when moved, then will molt in late summer.
    Anyone who really knows chickens will not give much for 18-24 months old birds,
    tho selling them in the spring is a much better bet than in the summer or fall.
    I always struggle with this, sell now when they are laying and miss out on those eggs over the summer, or wait till later and they won't sell as readily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: