How much to sell for??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by mossfamilyfarm, Aug 10, 2010.

1. mossfamilyfarm

mossfamilyfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    So I have some young Royal Palm poults. They were hatched this past Spring. I know how much I paid when I bought my breeding pair, but am wondering how much I should sell the young ones for now. I have one person wanting just a male and another wanting a pair... Lucky me, I have two males and one female I would like to sell, so I figured I would go ahead and sell now and not wait until Spring like I had planned. Only problem is I dont know a fair price. I know that that feed store (yuck) sells their day-old poults for $11... so I would want to get more than that I think since I have months into feeding/caring for these things. And.. they are not hatchery birds. One was hatched from my own stock and the males were hatched from another breeders stock. Any suggestions?? Thanks Guys and Gals!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. mossfamilyfarm

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    So... I found one person selling young pairs for $75???? Is that a reasonable price??

3. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i think so, i saw on craigslist a pair of bourbon reds, hen just started laying and they wanted 150.00 for the pair.

4. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Adult palms in my area go for about $35-40 range. That age about $25

5. Tunastopper

Tunastopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    I see alot of people ask for $50 a turkey up to $150 for a pair. I just wonder how many they really sell. Everyone wants a deal. At the sells they only get $15 to $20 for good size turkeys (about 6 months old). Its a shame.

6. mossfamilyfarm

Feb 24, 2010
    Greenville, IL
    Well... I decided to ask $70 for the pair, and $30 for a tom and $45 for a hen seperately. Then I feel I am setting the price high enough I can let the person "talk" me down and feel as if they are getting a deal. I don't have many for sale and I am pretty sure that the 3 birds I am selling are pretty much sold already. I guess I'll just let the buyers decide if the birds are worth it [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My 2 month old Bourbon Red poults sold for $20.00 a piece.. I don't know if that helps or not. One customer bought 4 and then came back for 2 more 1 week old babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by