1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much to sell meat birds for???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jessicayarno, Oct 11, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I am selling some of my cornish x this time and I know i shorted myself by only asking $2 lb processed.. What is a fair price to ask for next time?? Average cost for the feed I use is $16 for a 50lb bag.. I don't want to get rich, I just want to be able to do this to have mine paid for.. Our family goes through 30 birds every few months..

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    The local Amish market here sells full free range chickens for $7.49 /lb. The grocery store is around $5.00 /lb.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  3. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

It goes for $3.00 to $3.50 per pound here .. Chickens are weighed proccesd for that price.

People make $1.00 to $1.30 per pound here, that way...
    I would cost out what it costs you..
    This many birds / this much feed cost etc... Then add onto that per pound of meat..
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you all... I am not doing that bad this time, once it is all said and done after figuring that most birds will weigh around 5lbs, I will only be out of pocket $51 dollars for my 18 birds, that isn't too bad, better than $112 which is what i would pay to raise mine by themselves.. I didn't compare prices to free range, should have though..

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Local farm here gives 50c discount per lb if preordered & picked up day of processing. If you don't preorder & can't pick up butcher day it is $3.75 lb this yr. Was $3.50 last yr I believe. Also seen someone selling for a flat $15 per bird. $2 a lb is grocery store price for factory chicken. Defiantly need to raise the price, hope you don't loose too many customers if you up he price for next time. Maybe you could allow repeat customers to get a preorder discount & sell the others for x without a discount. Just explain feed prices are much higher than last time, they should understand. Everything is costing more as much as no one likes higher prices, most will understand.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd look around your area, it can vary so much according to region. Look into your local farms, farmer's markets, even craigslist and find who's selling and what they're asking. Don't underprice yourself again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by