How much to sell mutt duckilings for??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackrooster, Dec 18, 2010.

1. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    In the spring i am planing o hatching alot of duck babies!! Buut most of them are all going to be mutts witch is okay for me, buut if i want to sell some, how much should i sell the mutts for, and how much should i sell purebred blue swedish duckling for??

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

That question is what kind of mutts. Are they hinnies or mules? Those I would sell for less, because they cannot reproduce. Our feed store sells ducklings for $5 each.

3. jackrooster

jackrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Maine
    ummm the crosses would be, Pekin X Buff....... Mallard X Buff..........Mallard X Blue Sweedish....... Pekin X blue sweedish, and purebred blue sweedish ......No mules

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I think they will be cure house ducks. I would ask for 5 dollars. On the purebreeds a dollar more. A good price indicator is what hatcheries ask for.

5. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i say how old the ducklings are to what price and mutts do have a lot of use! my mutts are the best broodys ever and they are ey candy! 5 is probably ok for day olds but if older you may want to sell for more. oh and they are good for meat.

6. foxhomechickens

foxhomechickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2010
    Don't know about your area but around here(prarie Mn) I would pay $3-$5 for non purebred ducklings. $5-$10 for pure mucovy and about $75 a dozen for runners

7. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    I'd personally pay 2.50 for mutt ducklings, and no more than 5.00 for purebred, I guess that would be breed dependant, however. If I saw Welsh Harlequins, I'd be willing to pay more than that, especially if they were good lines. [​IMG]

I sell my muscovies at 4.00 apeice and they go like HOTCAKES. Planned on upping the price next year to see what the market will bear. I should have quite a few available, too, and with tons of different colors. Essentially, that's how you price things. If they don't sell at the price you're asking, lower it until they start moving.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I'd base my price on what the nearest hatchery to you is pricing them at and go from there...the people will pay more because they will have their pick, and perhaps they get to see where they come from, vs. mail order ducks. If you have purebreds, I'd ask an established breeder and go with what the market will bear. Personally, I think there's enough demand out there for ducks of any stripe that there's no need to start prices too low.

9. Kiery1105

Kiery1105 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2010
    Which crosses produce mules?

10. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    A mule is the result of a muscovy duck breeding with any other domestic mallard derivative. Muscovies are a different species entirely. They are supposed to be excellent meat birds, and the hens may or may not lay. Either way, they are sterile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by