1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How much "treat" is too much?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bulldog-girl, Jul 16, 2008.

1. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Songster

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I have been lurking here for awhile and am finally getting two grown hens in a week or so. (thanks to another BYC member)

Anyway, we have lots of scraps going to compost right now, salad fixins, tops of carrots all good fresh scraps. Is there a quantity that is too much or should all those goodies go to the two lucky girls? I of course will provide feed.

I am worried that they could overeat on the veggie scraps and get sick. Can that happen?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I give mine treats almost every day. I usully give them left over salad, grass, cabbage, watermelon, carrotts, bananas or whatever happens to be laying around. I have not had any problems. I avoid corn since it is SO HOT here and it heats them up more. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Songster

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    Thanks so much!! I don't want to "kill them with Kindness". Since we raise our greedy bulldogs, I am used to animals that need regulation with food. Our dogs don't "free range" or they would make themselves sick.

[​IMG]

4. panner123

panner123 Songster

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Natural treats like veggies are really good for them. Treat like bread or starbucks dounuts should be limited.
    Really nothing with a lot of salt or sugar. Like me, I have some older hens that need their sugar fix from starbucks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: