How much Tylosin powder in water?

chckndaddy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 4, 2017
My peacock os about a year old. I just need to know how much Tylosin powder to put in his water per gallon. The pack i got is for pigeons and says 1 teaspoon per gallon but online I saw for peacocks online someone said 1 1/2 teaspoons for 6 gallons. This doesn't seem right proportionally so I thought I'd ask y'all.

He's had some kind if respiratory infection for a long time now so I got this to see if it would help.

Is a vet an option? I asked because typos in powder only treats Mycoplasma, it does not treat any of the other bacterial respiratory infections.

okay, yes I am aware of that. I am not able to take him to a vet. first I would have to catch him which would be nearly impossible, and I'd have to get him in a cage. I did get a fecal done twice but that was just to check for cocci and worms. we also live a good ways away from a vet so that would be another factor.

Here are a few harsh facts that you are not going to like hearing, sorry in advance. If you can not catch the bird for a diagnosis you are not likely to find out what the problems are. Sick birds are easy to catch. The bird would need to be caged during the treatment period. Not all information you find on the net is good, it is fair to question mine as well. If he has a gurgle and shows no other outward signs of being ill then he likely has MG or microplasma. There is no getting rid of that but he can live a long and healthy life although he is apt to pass it on to other birds and you should not bring healthy birds on your property as long as he is there, IF he has it. The best treatment for MG is Tylan 200 injections given SQ on day one, three, and five. The recommended dose is 2.0ml for a mature cock, which is higher than the official dosages given in medical books. You cn try the Tylan powder in the water but he would still have to be contained with no other water source. The rate is normally one teaspoon per gallon made fresh daily and be sure to NOT put your hand in the solution or you will get severe skin burn.

ok, Thanks! I discovered that he will do anything for some scrambled eggs so I can coax him into areas if I have to using those.

Back
Top Bottom