how much ventilation is enough?

garngang

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
North Central Arkansas
ok so i have a couple of windows and then ive got a few vents. but how do i know i have enough ventilation? what are some signs of poor ventilation?
thanks a ton!
smile.png

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
I think the biggest one would be smell.

If you stick your head in and say "hmm, I think animals live in here" then you're good.
If you stick your head in and the smell knocks your socks off then you've got problems.

I think humidity is another thing, but that can be a bit hard to judge in Arkansas
tongue.png

Maybe someone else can tell you better.

patandchickens

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Ontario, Canada
See my Ventilation page (link in .sig below) for a lot more info on the subject
wink.png
... but, as far as signs, I would say the big three (in no particular order b/c importance varies with the season) are

-- if coop smells "strong" when you go out there in the morning and open the door, you need more ventilation.

-- if there is condensate or frost forming on the windows etc overnight, you probably need more ventilation. I say "probably" because in extremely cold climates, frosted windows may be inevitable because of the huge temperature difference in vs out and may not reflect a real ventilation problem. But if you can walk out to the coop with bare flesh exposed for more than a minute or two, then if there is much condensate on your windows you need more ventilation. (Condensation/frost on coop ceiling or walls means a severe ventilation deficiency, EXCEPT that in a drippy ceiling may also require insulation in cold climates)

-- if the coop is still uncomfortably hot, like quite noticeably hotter than outdoors, an hour after the sun goes down in the summer, it needs a lot more ventilation.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

Top Bottom