how much ventilation is enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garngang, Sep 24, 2009.

1. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    ok so i have a couple of windows and then ive got a few vents. but how do i know i have enough ventilation? what are some signs of poor ventilation?
    thanks a ton!
    [​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think the biggest one would be smell.

If you stick your head in and say "hmm, I think animals live in here" then you're good.
    If you stick your head in and the smell knocks your socks off then you've got problems.

I think humidity is another thing, but that can be a bit hard to judge in Arkansas [​IMG]

Maybe someone else can tell you better.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    See my Ventilation page (link in .sig below) for a lot more info on the subject [​IMG]... but, as far as signs, I would say the big three (in no particular order b/c importance varies with the season) are

-- if coop smells "strong" when you go out there in the morning and open the door, you need more ventilation.

-- if there is condensate or frost forming on the windows etc overnight, you probably need more ventilation. I say "probably" because in extremely cold climates, frosted windows may be inevitable because of the huge temperature difference in vs out and may not reflect a real ventilation problem. But if you can walk out to the coop with bare flesh exposed for more than a minute or two, then if there is much condensate on your windows you need more ventilation. (Condensation/frost on coop ceiling or walls means a severe ventilation deficiency, EXCEPT that in a drippy ceiling may also require insulation in cold climates)

-- if the coop is still uncomfortably hot, like quite noticeably hotter than outdoors, an hour after the sun goes down in the summer, it needs a lot more ventilation.

GOod luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by