1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how much water do ducklings go through?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lady chicken whisperer, Jun 5, 2008.

1. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    We are planning on going on a short little trip next week and its possible that our 2-3 day old ducklings will be left alone for about 12 hours. How much water do they go through at this age and how fast?? Is this even possible or should i try to find someone to come check on my babies?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

It depends:

on the waterer

whether they are inside or out

You don't want them to get into the water and get wet and die of hypothermia.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i have 7 ducklings and they go through 2 sometimes 3 jars of water a day..lol

4. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    well they will either be in my basement, where its quite cool, or in the garage. Can i just use a gallon waterer like i use for my chickens, or is that not deep enough for them to get their beaks in?I forgot, there will only be 4 of them, Black East Idies. These are my first ducks so advice is very much appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  5. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I finally bought buckets for my guys. They go through a LOT of water.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

lady

Monitor their water intake and waste for the next few days and see what works for a waterer. That should give you a good idea of how much water they will need. I think a gallon would be enough but once again, monitor their use and waster. Ducks make a mess and waste a lot of water. If your gallon waterer is similar to mine then they will be able to get their bills in it. Try it out.

Being little ducklings they will still need the heat in the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by