1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much water do I need?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cookinmom, Apr 2, 2007.

1. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I'm about to get a "big" waterer and feeder for my chickens, as they're outgrowing their little chick versions. Not to mention every night they dump them over (I think they're roosting on top of them).

How big of a waterer do I need, to accommodate 9 hens in a hot climate? I don't want it too big, because I don't want to be dumping out a lot of water every morning and wasting a lot of acv. But I want it big enough to last them from one day to the next without danger of running out.

I guess I could just get one that holds like 7 gallons, and then just adjust down the amount of water I put in it.
    What do y'all recommend?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    you can get you a 7 gallon waterer.an sitt it up on bricks to get it about 6in off the ground.that way they cant get shaving in their waterer.a 25lb feeder is a big enough feeder for 9 hens.

3. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Thanks a bunch! I'm thinking about getting the hanging kind, since we already have some chain to hang it with, but I wasn't sure at all about the capacity.

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    I live in a hot climate and use kitty litter boxes for water for my eight birds. I don't change them everyday, just when the water level gets below about 1/3. In summer, when it's very hot I add a second litter box just as a backup. I like these litter boxes because they are so very easy to clean. Just dump the water out and run the hose over it good. I also have a 1 gal plastic chicken waterer and it's a nightmare to keep clean. It forever gets algaed up even when it is in the shade or indoors. Remember that you can't use the metal waterers if you are going to use acv, it causes a reaction with the metal that can poison your birds.

As for feeder, I use a metal hanging feeder, probably about 3 gal. That's plenty for 8 chickens and I only fill it about twice a week. When they free range I don't fill it that often.

5. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    i used those 5 an 7 gal waterers for awhile.then i got tired of them.an went to the feedstore an bought 3 15 gal rubber tubbs.an the rubber tubbs are what i use to water then in now.they are easy to washout an fill up with a waterhose.

6. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of using something open like that. Would be lots easier to clean, although after having 'exotic' birds, I would give them fresh water daily. Algae is a big problem here too, and I hadn't thought of that.

How do you keep them from perching on the edges and/or jumping in though?

7. wynedot55

Mar 28, 2007
    they dont sitt on them at all.but they do step in them some .so i wash them out when i fill them up.an i only fill them when they get low on water.

8. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I have a little rubber tub too. They used to get fresh water 2x a day, but since Jack has turned into the rooster from H#@* they get it once a day. (I really have to do something about him)

9. cookinmom

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    Well, sounds good to me. I'm going to W-mart this afternoon, so I think I'll pick up something like that.
    Thanks y'all!!! [​IMG]

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote:
    Most waterers aren't meant to be hung from the handles.
    The chickens will swing them around and spill the water and just make a big mess.

It's better to have them sitting on something to raise them at least as high as the birds back or even a little higher to help keep dirt out
    For the number of birds you have, 5 Gallons would last them close to a week.
    If they free range it may even last longer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by