how much water do your chicken drink?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cestial225, Dec 8, 2013.

1. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a rubber bucket of water in the coop for 16 chickens. I change it out every day cause it gets dusty and is sometimes frozen in the morning. It looks like they don't even touch it.

2. kmollyhughes

kmollyhughes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Northern Nevada
    My chickens drink a ton of water. They always need access to clean water for egg production. If water is dirty, icing up, or has a weird smell they won't drink as much as they should.

3. Wereplatypus

Wereplatypus New Egg

May 15, 2013
    I have one chicken and fill up her gallon container about once a week. It also depends a bit on the weather because chickens drink more to cool down in summer.

4. farmerkevin

farmerkevin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Have 2 1 gallon auto waterers. 5 hens and 1 roo. They go through about a gallon about every 5 days it seems. I had one 1 gallon that was gone in 5 days. Now have 2 1 gallon waterers. We'll see how long that lasts. I have them elevated so they don't scratch and dirty up the water.

I also use filtered water. I noticed that with my dogs water, filtered water doesn't green up as quick as tap water.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by