How much water for 7 layers?

sfchixn

Songster
11 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
I'm trying to figure out if I need to hang another waterer in the pen. I currently have a single 1-gallon nipple watered for 7 pullets. Should I get another? There may be times we need to leave them for a week -- with a chicken sitter dropping in (of course). But it would be nice to tell the caregiver that most likely water does not need to be refilled.

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
I have a one gallon plastic waterer for my 5 pullets, they tend to dirty it pretty quick and won't drink it when it's dirty...so I have to change it one every day or two. For 7 I would get another 1 gallon waterer JUST to be safe. Here in Florida I have to make sure the chickens have fresh, cool water. The average temp is 80-90 now and without water they would have easily overheat and die.

sfchixn

Songster
11 Years
May 30, 2009
Central Coast, California
You should look into a nipple-type waterer. The water stays clean until they finish it so you're not cleaning/refilling every day. It only took about a week for my pullets to figure out how to use it.

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Quote:
Missed the part about the waterer being a nippe waterer. I'll have to look in to getting one. And to answer your question....depending on how many times the sitter comes I would add another one. One gallon wouldn't be enough for 7 pullets on a warm day.

Debob

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
I'd would get another water, at least a 2-3 gallon. You want them to have water at all times, so increase the amount in front of them. They will only drink so much. I have 11 and mine have a 5 galon in their run ,and a 3 gallon in the coop. I change water evey othe day,if is dirty I change it before then. The one outside seems to get changed more often then the one inside.

farmboydj

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
puyallup wa
the more water the better if something happens to one there is a back up for them to drink from water is very important
smile.png

Top Bottom