1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How much water?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by animalsRawesome, May 2, 2016.

1. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    How much water will a dozen pigeons drink in a day? Wondering what size container to get... A quart, gallon, two gallons??

2. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    It will depend on the temperature... warmer weather they drink more.

I would get the biggest water container you can easily pick up and clean out.

You can't have too much water for them.. and if you have to be away a couple of days you won't have to worry about them running out of water.

1 person likes this.
  3. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    They need clean water every day, and smaller water containers will waste less water and space. My Birmingham rollers only drink half cup per half dozen birds, and that was flying them in warm weather long, but can be twice as much if flying them long in heat wave or when breeding. my others homers generally twice that much if not more, being up to almost cup per pair. What you feed and what area they have for exercise depends as well as breed etc.
    I never use more than a quart to gallon container and fill more times daily if needed.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    2 people like this.
  4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I water with a quart water and have 12 adult homers and never come close to running out of water. I change my water daily religiously. I will have to add more waterers as my goal is to have a flock of 50 flying birds.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    @Hokum Coco and @laughingdog Thanks guys! This gives me a rough idea of what size I should start with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by