how much would you buy a silkie for?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chicken5656, Jul 23, 2013.

1. chicken5656

chicken5656 In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    I know this might not be in the right place.
    How much would you pay for three blue silkies and how much for one white silkie,I am thinking of buying some and i want to know the average price so i don't pay to much.
    Thanks

2. Whittni

Whittni Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    If someone is buying just one silkie, they will pay $20 without a problem. You should be okay with $20 for one.

When you're selling them, you try to sell them with a set of chicks and you can get $40 for her and couple chicks.

However, if you buy a set of three silkie hens, $60 is too intimidating to a buyer and you'll want to lower the price to $40-$50 for 3 (lean to $50).

If this is your first time buying silkies, don't inform the seller, you can offer $10 and see if they'll take the bait but generally a single silkie holds value, remember that.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  3. chicken5656

Apr 23, 2013
    Thanks alot

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have to say that I completely disagree with the answer by Whittni. Price depends entirely on the quality and age of the birds. Some go for several hundred dollars a piece, and some are worth about $5. Yes, you will pay less per bird by purchasing in quantity, but not significantly less unless you are purchasing many, not jsut a few.

Some breeders make it simple and charge the same for all their birds. Others price the birds individually.

So, what quality and age of birds are you looking for, and how many?

5. kkowa

kkowa Songster

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    I sell mine on quality and age each are priced individually based on how well they do at show along with how they produce quality offspring each bird has its own value. the cheapest I have ever sold one for was $35.00 and the most expensive was $100.00 each bird has there own price value and just remember one thing the cheaper the bird the less the quality and productivity they will have expect to have pet quality silkies only not show birds. if you want silkies for show look around don't just go with the first ones you see, and never buy them from hatchery's they will have little to no crests on them.

6. chicken5656

Apr 23, 2013
    I have been offered 1 Bird for $25 and its from show quality stock and has all the right things like blue ears

7. chicken5656

Apr 23, 2013
    Also how loud are the cockerels,I don't want to upset the neighbors? !

8. kkowa

kkowa Songster

Mar 27, 2012
    Wisconson
    in my opinion they are not as loud as other roosters but again it all depends on the bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: