How much would you pay for a dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by kittykorat, Dec 18, 2009.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    So... I have a thread going about getting a dog.
    I am thinking about a golden doodle. There is a breeder not too far from here that is recommended.
    I emailed her about the price of pups... They are $2200!! EEEk!
    But she has one 9 wk old pup left.. was going to keep it for breeding, but will sell for $1400 because she just broke her wrist.
    The one on the left
    [​IMG]

I thought it was rediculous that the local animal shelters are charging $400 for a dog so I looked into getting a purebred... but $1400!... I've never owned anything other than a mutt.

So how much would you pay for a dog?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I have never paid for a dog and we always have at least two...they just keep finding us!

3. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I wouldn't spend that much. The attorney I worked with sold his Golden Doodles for $400 and they are pure bred.

You'll get a lot of folks that will suggest a rescue. You might look into a specific rescue for Golden Doodles or another breed that you know you'd like. Many times, especially during spring they'll get puppies. The process of getting "approved" is a pain (but necessary), and it's always good to start now if you think this method would be OK for you.

I spent $400 for a pure Lab (doh!) and $450 for a pure Jack Russell. The best dog I've ever gotten? A rescue puppers from the local German Shepherd rescue for the adoption price of $250 (or maybe it was $200... I can't recall).

Good luck!!

4. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Um, zip, nada, zero

Everytime I looked at that dog I'd be thinking about how many mortgage payments she could have been [​IMG]

5. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    First a golden doodle is not a purebred, it is a mutt, a golden retriever and poodle mix. I would never pay that much as you can buy purebred show dogs of both breeds cheaper than that.

Second, there is a purebred labradoodle but it is hard to find in this country, it originated in Australia, bred true for many generations, and is doesn't shed like the poodle, unlike the labradoodles here, which again, just mutt crosses and do shed.

I have paid a lot of money for very nice purebred, but they were purebreds, with show lines, and all their health clearances for generations, including (depending on the breed) hip, eyes, heart, elbows, etc.

6. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    A goldlen-doodle is a mixed breed and they want $2200! If you go to the shelter to get a puppy or dog, yeah, you might pay $400, but that includes the shots, worming, spay/neuter, everything! Have you considered a rescue? There's always loads of "designer" dogs on Petfinder.com like golden-doodles, malti-poos, puggles, and all those other high end mixes. I personally would never spend that kind of money on a mixed breed dog or any dog for that matter.......but good luck in your search:)

7. hobbyfarmrookie

hobbyfarmrookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Find someone giving away a poodle and a golden retriever. Breed them get the pick of the litter of the goldendoodle then sell the rest. The mix breeds being soooooo expensive is crazy; THEY ARE MUTTS. I would pay a lot for a purebreed but not a mutt. Make your own. I agree they are cute but not worth a load of money.

8. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    $500 will get most pet quility pure bred dogs, my bichon was $500( I got her free from the breeder:) and my black am.cocker spanial was $500 but she's to breed standard and just gorgous( she's living with my parents now though). Mutts shouldn't be sold for more then the cost of the food, and medical it needed, mutts are an opps my dog got out.

9. kittykorat

kittykorat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I am not interested in paying that much for a dog...
    My last two dogs were shelter dogs- and they were $140 9-10 years ago at the same shelter that now charges $400!

One of those dogs died from Addisons disease, and the other now resides w/ my MIL because he was too nervous around the kids.

I have looked at the local shelter.. but $400 for a mutt, and most of them are pit bull mixes.

But... I really would rather wait... so I plan to keep looking at what might come into the shelters.

I am just shocked at what it costs for a dog these days..

10. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    My friend has a golden doodle she will give away.
    A show quailty animal may be worth that price but as others have said that is not even a breed!!!
    The AKC has a really neat program you put in the information of what you would like in a dog and it will give you the best breeds.
    When I did it it gave me Boxers and Vizslas.

If possible I will always be owning one or two Vizsla's for the rest of my life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by