How much would you pay....I have a plan! see post #16

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shelleyb1969, Nov 15, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

for a processed Midget White Turkey?

Should my price be for the whole bird, or by the processed pound?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    well i would want it alive !! Arent they hard to come by ? Why would you want to kill it ? breed it ! thats wat i would do

3. shelleyb1969

Oh, I'm gonna breed them, after I get my initial starter flock! [​IMG]

I'm asking this question because I'm considering buying a bunch of poults in the spring and selling them, processed, at slaughter size. I'm just trying to figure out if people will pay me enough for them to cover their cost and expense.

4. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Good question!!! I want to buy midget white turkeys too...good question!!!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Are you selling them live or dressed?

You need to calculate the of everything you do associated with the turkeys. My biggest turkeys this year would sell for no less than $135 each.

6. shelleyb1969

Thanks MissPrissy. You must have some big turkeys! And beauties I bet!

This will be my first time with turkeys. I think since I have to order so many (at least 10), that I will offer some for sale once they reach optimal size. I honestly have no clue how much they eat in feed per month. I was just wondering if people sell them by the dressed pound, or if they sell by the live bird and offer processing at an additional cost.

7. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I seen some adds on craigslist that some one was selling turkey's for $4.oo a pound

8. shelleyb1969

That's another thing I'm wondering about...does the price differ a lot from one geographic place to another. The obvious answer is yes, but how much fluctuation is there I wonder?

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It depends upon what you can get away with. If you live in a rural area, most people aren't going to convinced that they need to pay $4.00 a pound for turkey. Typically the closer you are to the city the more likely you are to find people with extra income who would be willing to pay more for a "real" turkey.

10. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:Hahaha i love that "real" thingy. I had a neighbor ask once if the eggs from my chicken are real and if you can eat them.
    3-4$ per pound are good.Go a little higher and than offer a discount per pound. You got to make people feel like they got a bargain or offer . Maybe you could give a dozen farm fresh eggs with each purchase.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by