How Much?...You've got to be Crazy!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fowler_chick, Sep 2, 2009.

1. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    today i walked in to the same farm store as always do to buy my wood shaving's for my chickens.....walked to the rack where the shaving's are always on display....looked at the price and then at the bag.....7.99 a bag!!!! how crazzy is this?....well....i stopped buying all my feed from them a few months ago because they are well over priced on feed!! they want 6.99 for 40 lbs of cracked corn......waiste of time, miliage and gas....BUY LOCAL when you can....almost every town in kansas has a co-op.....and i love mine...the guys who run ours are friendley and helpfull and never have been rude.........i often find my self killing time just chatting with them while patting and cooooing over there crazzy co_op cat. and they always have every thing in stock....if not bagged i can take it home in a 5 gal bucket!!! now that service!!

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Totally agree on buying local and our local farm store is eactly the same, friendly friendly friendly..... I like the good old fashioned manners of the staff who always have time to chat a while.....

Local is good!

3. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    $6.99 for 40 pounds of cracked corn?

We pay $13.95 for a 50 pound bag.

Okay, farmers here grow corn, but not a LOT of corn. So I'll give you that. We are the lettuce capital of the world. So tell me, what do you pay for a head of iceberg lettuce? Or a head of red-leaf or green-leaf lettuce?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Whoa!! It's 5.25 for 50# here! And shavings are $5 also (7 cu. ft. I think)

5. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    lol...oops for got to mention the prices at the co-op, i guess i was still fueling over my trip to the farm store....cracked corn run's 4.50 per 50 pound bag, chicken crumble is 7.50 per 50 pound bag, shaving's 6.00 for 7 cb feet.....to mess with the co-ops pet cat...PRICEless...i don't mind paying a little more or less there, it saves me time and money in the end (farm store it 30 miles away!!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  6. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Whoa!! It's 5.25 for 50# here! And shavings are $5 also (7 cu. ft. I think)

Oh be quiet. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Oh my I wish I could get prices like that. 16.50 for 50lbs chick crumble and 10.25 for 7cu ft shavings and 28.00 for 50 lbs DE. Oh and let's not forget 12-15 dollars for a bale of bermuda

8. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    My favorite local co-op just sold their business and were bought up by some folks who aren't a chain, but would like to look like one. I am SO SAD. They always had the best quality and prices on garden seed, and wonderful bushels of peaches and apples you could get dirt cheap, and healthy and affordable seedlings. Feed prices and such were usually just a little more, but I didn't mind paying a little extra for it since I could buy it from FRIENDLY, knowledgable people! [​IMG] I guess I'm stuck with TSC now. They're ok, but not reliable to have things in stock.

9. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:We can get a bale of alfalfa for $10 IF we buy more than one. Why? Because it's moldy. The decent stuff costs $13 to $15.

Looks like I'm not missing out on great crumble and DE prices in other parts of AZ.
    Be glad we don't have to buy DE on the internet, though! $28 is a bargain compared to what they're paying on the internet.

10. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Well for me 50lbs of DE don't go too far but I am grateful I don't have to use that daily. Yes the internet prices for that are insane. I can get alfalfa for 12 dollars a bale (good stuff) but I don't use it because it leaves sticks behind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by