How Much???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LukesCityHens, Dec 22, 2011.

1. LukesCityHens

LukesCityHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Fayetteville
    how much do you give 6 birds???? I feel like they're eating alot but a few of them are jumping the fence and getting into the garden (which isn't a bad thing this time of year) but how do I control this?

2. maggiec1951

maggiec1951 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    west central florida
    Put up a fence they can't jump over.[​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

6 adult, large fowl (not bantam) will each eat approximately 1/3 pound of feed per day. So, for your 6, feed 2 pounds of feed per day.

They jump over to a garden, not necessarily because they are starved, but to a chicken? A garden is an irresistible delight of digging, pecking, and their deployment of the search and destroy Delta Force drill.

4. LukesCityHens

LukesCityHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Fayetteville
    and what feed do you recommend? right now they have some green bag pellets, some laying pellets, and some wild bird food mix all together. good? bad? any and all input helps cuz I'm NEW! thanks to everyone thats helped so far.....you guys are making this experience more fun than I ever thought [​IMG]

5. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Fred's Hens :

6 adult, large fowl (not bantam) will each eat approximately 1/3 pound of feed per day. So, for your 6, feed 2 pounds of feed per day.

They jump over to a garden, not necessarily because they are starved, but to a chicken? A garden is an irresistible delight of digging, pecking, and their deployment of the search and destroy Delta Force drill.

Funny!!​

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Hi LukesCityHens,

wow--- I'm still searching for the perfect feed----for my little spoiled dinosaurs.

It would be smart IMO to rely largely on your laying pellets as a firm basis for their food--- Not sure what green pellets are--- are they alphafa? (hope I spelled that right--it is a legume used for hay)

--- And check the protein content on the wild bird food. If it isn't at least 16% protein, then you are kind of diluting their nutrition when you mix with layer rations.... it will probably be a great treat food though.

If you want to have your hens become good layers, you will want to have a good soild regular diet.

I am presently feeding my bunch 'flock raiser' to give a little more protein to them than the layer rations have. Make sure that you have oyster shell and if available, crushed egg shells from your hens... and of course lots of fresh water and a little grit.

Mine love egg shells---- if a hen doesn't get enough calcium, her body will pull calcium from her bones.....

Good luck with the feeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by