How nature repays a kindness UPDATE Post #22

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, May 16, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Awhile back my chickens found a nest of 5 baby rabbits in the yard. Torrential rains had flooded them out of their nest. The babies had their ears and eyes open, but were still very young.

Because I knew that it wouldn't be long until the dogs found them, I decided to move the rabbits a few feet away, outside the fenced yard. I moved them in a direct line, parellel to their former location and tucked them up under an old tree stump; high and dry.

One of the five babies managed to get away from me during the move and ran into some bushes nearby. Later when I checked again he had returned to their former nest. He was soaking wet, chilled to the bone and near death.

I brought that one in the house. I got him warmed up and dry and fed him an electrolyte solution. Once he had recovered his strength I returned him to the nest with his siblings. End of story.

Except....

One of those bunnies (I'm sure it's one of them, being the correct size now a few weeks later) has taken up residence in one of our pump houses. The pump house in question is an old, dark and dank place. I have no clue why a living creature would want to reside there. I have to go in that pump house at least once a day to turn on the spigot and I'm quick about it. I don't hang around. Been going in there for years. When I do go in there....

I am not expecting an evil little bunny rabbit to jump out at me! [​IMG] He's done it half a dozen times now! Yesterday the fright caused me to drop a hoe on my foot. This is how nature repays a kindness! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Leave the hoe outside... you'll feel better.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG] Let him leap out and then keep it closed? He'll probably roost in the Brahma coop after that...................

Let's see- NN x Jersery Giant x Brahma x Polish x Silkie x jackalope............... bunnyken? Chunny?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:He gets in and out, even with the door closed. Nobody better be getting in the brahma coop anymore, cept the brahmas. [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Buffaloed by a bunny. Sigh...

6. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    well if it is the one you brought in, he may be playing with you. people underestimate how much animals remember.

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    A.T. Hagan :

Buffaloed by a bunny. Sigh...

*heavy sigh* I know right. [​IMG]

8. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Gritty, [​IMG] The quote of, "Don't expect a kindness act to be returned" comes to mind.....[​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:[​IMG] And so will the "poor little bunny." He's probably telling his siblings about the scarey lady with the hoe who tried to get him.[​IMG]

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Maybe he stole the coop door from #43, drug it in there and is using it as an escape hatch. He is just protecting it from being found.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by