HOW, NESTING BOXES

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jay1995, Feb 1, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Is there some kind of luxury nesting box I can make. We have nesting boxes but they wont lay their eggs in them. Please post why.[​IMG]

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    have you put fake eggs or golf balls in the nest. when they see them they will get the hint. Are the boxes to high?

3. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    How old are your hens? Some don't start laying until 24, 26 weeks.
    sandyj

4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    I think we need a lot more info and pictures. Are they currently laying? Where do they ley if they are? What are the boxes made of? What height did you build them? What did you use for bedding?

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

give them an assortment. They will choose what they like most. 5 gallon bucket, milk crate, kitty litterbox with a lid, rubbermaid tote with a hole cut in the lid. Use the fake eggs too

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    All of the important questions have been asked.

[​IMG]

I have 7 nest boxes. They will only use three of them. If I had it to do over again, I would have made my boxes a bit smaller... (8 inches across rather than 12) they seem to use the smaller ones more.

7. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    They are about 4 inches tall and 9 inches long. Im going to try the assortment and the fake eggs. Thanks for the help.

8. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    4 inches tall seems way to short, you might want to offer something else

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    From McMurray Hatchery
    By nature, hens like dark out of the way places for laying eggs. The nest you provide can encourage them to lay where you can get at the eggs for collection. Nest boxes for heavy breeds should be about 14" wide by 14" high by 12" deep. Allow one nest for every 4 to 5 hens. Nests should be 18 to 20 inches off he ground.

My nest boxes, on the top boxes the top opens and the lower boxes have a door for out side access. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by