1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How noisy are Welsh Harlequins compared to geese?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bel, Nov 5, 2010.

1. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    The trio of geese went to the ranch and are enjoying their large area with a pond, now its a little too quiet.
    I am thinking of getting a trio (or is a pair better?) of WH and hoping for something a bit quieter than the geese (they were sold as sebbies but might be a cross) but not silent. How do they rate noise wise on a scale of 1-10 (10 being geese)
    Thanks,
    bel

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
  3. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Ill give them a 3

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 1 really mouthy WH. The other 6 you wouldn't even know they were there. I think they are quiter than geese though...even my big mouth Abby.

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

My WHs are very quiet. The only time they make any noise is when I talk to them. If they have ANY complaints, they will DEFINITELY tell me about them. [​IMG] [​IMG] But not in a loud obnoxious way...just lots of chatter.

6. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Thanks so much for your help.
    I might go with a quad, will that still be to low of a ratio?

7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    1 / 3 ratio is a good ratio . It sometimes happens that the drake will service his few favorites and the other girls can often miss out in much larger groups. Also some drakes tend to be a bit rougher with the girls than others. I have one drake like that - he is younger and less experienced- so I hope with age he does get a little more gentle with the girls.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They mellow a bit with age [​IMG]

I have a hen, Shelley, and every drake that has met her has fallen totally in love with her. Poor girl has a bald spot!! The other 4 don't even have ruffled feathers [​IMG]

9. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    I think all of my ducks put together is quieter than my gander.... I really don't notice any difference between my Harley's and my other breeds as far as noise. They are all chatter boxes, but are at their loudest when they see me in the morning so I can let them out to free range. Most of the time I don't really notice much noise out of them if they are content.

10. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    Mine are definately quieter than the migrating geese that winter over in the field across the street.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by