How not to ship eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mustangsaguaro, Feb 16, 2008.

1. mustangsaguaro

mustangsaguaro Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    I got a shipment of eggs, last Thur. and when I opened the box and saw how they were wrapped, I was appalled. The carton was wrapped in lots of bubble wrap. But when I opened the carton this is what they were like.

[​IMG]

Surprisingly only one egg was cracked out of all of those. I was shocked to say the least.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    what is that? pine shavings? I have never seen that before

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Well heck they MADE it didn't they? All but one! Thats not too shabby! [​IMG]

4. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG]

5. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    Quote:I believe it was either pine or cedar. Don't remember.

As for the one that cracked, we melted wax over it and put it in the incubator. Will see if this one makes it or not to hatch.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I believe it was either pine or cedar. Don't remember.

As for the one that cracked, we melted wax over it and put it in the incubator. Will see if this one makes it or not to hatch.

What breed are they - they look green. Arucana? Easter egger?

7. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    We received several shipments of eggs in shavings just like that, but the eggs were all nestled in their little spot, not jumbled like that. Apparently I have read in a couple of places that the shavings let the egg "breathe" better than bubble wrap.

8. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    You can put wax over the eggs! I have had to toss many eggs because they freeze overnight. What kind of wax do you use? What a weird way to ship eggs!

9. mustangsaguaro

Nov 30, 2007
    San Martin, Ca
    What breed are they - they look green. Arucana? Easter egger?

Neither, all the eggs I have in the bator are Ameraucana's. True Ameraucana's. I don't like the look of the Aruacana's. They have the tuft's coming out of there ears. Plus, supposedly the Aruacana's have a lethal gene in them.

What kind of wax do you use?

As for the wax, we just melted some candle wax.​

10. urbanagrarian

urbanagrarian Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I've never shipped eggs, but I don't see why you are "appalled". I've read that shavings is a good way of packing shipped eggs and only one cracked. Were there extra included? If so you may be ahead of the game. How far did they travel?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by