How not to waste so much bleeping food?!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JStark, May 5, 2009.

1. JStark

JStark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Really, how? I'm okay with the changing out the hay every day, and I'm okay with all the water, but seriously ducks, you waste so much food!

I'm using a small mason jar feeder that is a pain in the behind to clean out. Their mouths-full-of-water routine just turns it into a cake, which I'm guessing would soon be a fungus-cake.

Suggestions?

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I am not sure how many ducks you have or how big your place is but here is what i do. I use a peice of guttering like on your house and just fill that with the food for them each day. I use a long peice so they can get into it but it is not very deep so they tend to eat it and not waste as much.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I also have the water a little distance from the food so they have to go walk to the water.

4. Homesteading_Bound

Homesteading_Bound Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Madison,Ohio
    How old are they?

I give ducks the pellets and they don't waste as much.

The ages are one 1 1/2 month old.... 2 and 3yrs olds. As for water....the older one use the pond plus a rubber bucket. The younger one uses a ceramic bowl....No matter what....

They can make water funkie fast....

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your ducks waste food? Not a drop escapes my hungry little goober's mouths.

6. JStark

JStark Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    I may try the gutter thing. I will also move the food farther from the water.

My ducks are about 3 weeks old.

Thanks for some good, practical advice, folks![​IMG]

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I would change them to pellets once they are old enough too. The crumbles are always a bit messier than the pellets.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I have the same trouble with my 3 week olds. They drop the crumbled Flock Raiser all over the floor between the feeder and the waterer, creating a soggy paste. I've seen them eat off the floor, but not much. Gotta love them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by