how obsessive are you?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by granny hatchet, Oct 10, 2013.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    sometimes i go to youtube and play chicken hatching videos when its getting close to hatch time so the embryos will hear them and encourage them to hatch. whats your secret?

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I haven't tried this yet, but I want to try doing the mother hen cluck when the eggs start to hatch to encourage the chicks inside.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    my mother can get the roos crowing and i cant but it doesn't stop me from trying!

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm pretty good at making hen noises. [​IMG]

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Once I see pips in my eggs I do little whistles and they will cheep back an pop the eggs more lol. Also if you blow/make the raspberry noise with your tongue to baby chicks they will stop running around freeze and sink right down and act like they are going to sleep. It must be some type of defense mechanism or something because it works almost every time. I found out by accident and kept doing it, its pretty amazing.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  6. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    razzberry sounds i can do! will give it a try next time i need to catch one

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's the startle or warning cry that they do even as chicks when they sense danger. I wouldn't use it unless necessary, as there's no benefit to scaring the babies. The only time I use it is when the chicks are learning to be outdoors, and I need them to respond to me. I do the startle sound, then immediately call them and lead them to safety in their pen. That way, they respond appropriately to danger by seeking safety, and they learn that I am the dominant leader.

8. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Boy this would be nice have to try it!!
    Have a coop 2 ft off the ground ...MOm walks up the ramp at night and most the babies 1/2 dont..they run around peeping and little buggers are hard to catch so FAST!Takes us 15 minutes to get 3 or 4.Gets old.... every night. They run OUT fine!!

9. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    iF ISEE A PIP I START TO PEEP EVERY LITTLE WHILE I PEEP AT THEM UNTIL ONE HATCHES AND PEEPS THE REST OUT HIMSELF.
    aLSO I READ IF YOU SET THE EGGS CLOSE TOGETHER THEY CAN HEAR EACH OTHER IN THE SHELL AND HATCH BETTER.NOT SURE BUT SEEMS LOGICAL THEY ARE CLOSE IN A NEST SITUATION

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    these are some good ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by