1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how obvious is pasty butt?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by curiositykt, Apr 10, 2012.

1. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    I've had the 5 chicks in the brooder for 5 hours now and there's only 2 poops in the shavings.. I just tried to check them but they were struggling a lot and don't like my flipping them. One had a little string like thing on her butt, but didn't seem to be blocked up.. the rest looked just fuzzy. Would it be obvious if they had pasty butt?

2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    You can actually see droppings on their feathers if it is pasting up. Sorry, I'm not sure about the lack of droppings.

3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    If it's only been five hours and they just started eating for the first time a few hours ago it doesn't seem surprising that there aren't a lot of droppings. and yes, pasty butt is very obvious and externally visible...

4. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    It's very obvious, It'll look like dried poop all over their butt.

5. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    You can see it clearly. Plus, the chicks will dig in the chips, so it might be covered up.

6. curiositykt

curiositykt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Marlborough MA
    Had the first case of it today, yep! that's pretty obvious! came off pretty easy thankfully.

7. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    yeah, they'll be fine

8. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Only 2 poops in the shavings. [​IMG] Just wait!

9. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    What the feed companies won't tell you is that If you give them more greens, grasses, bugs and dirt and such, like chicks are supposed to have access to in nature from the get-go, you won't ever see pasty butt....

10. fallenleader

fallenleader Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2012
    N.E. PA
    when i got my chicks, they hardly pooped the first day, poo has been doubling almost weekly.

...my chicks are just under 2 1/2-weeks old, in a big tote and was cleaning it weekly, the last time i cleaned it, they managed to cover pretty much everything in poo within the hour. think i'll be cleaning twice a week from now on.

oh, they also love to fling litter into the waterer even though it's raised, and that often slows supply of fresh water down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by