1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How often can I feed my chicken oatmeal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ameliamychicken, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Ameliamychicken

Ameliamychicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    It has been getting cold and I heard oatmeal helps warm up chickens.My chicken Amelia loves oatmeal shes a small Malaysian serama about 16 ounces.I give her a tiny bit of it when it's cold.It will start to be colder more often so I was wondering how often can I give her oatmeal?Every day every other day.I only give her a tiny bit about the size of a quarter when uncooked.Also is oatmeal healthy for them?She loves it with tomatoes.

2. Ameliamychicken

Sep 15, 2013
    Also when I said a quarter uncooked I mean thats roughly how much I add before cooking it I always cook it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Well it certainly won't hurt her but there is nothing special about oatmeal that will generate warmth any more then any other good food. It is the process of digesting food that creates warmth. While certain foods, like corn, are touted as creating additional heat I think you'd have to feed an awful lot of it, more then would be healthy, to maybe make any kind of actual difference. So while it's ok to feed these things as treats, and chickens certainly enjoy them, your best cold weather feed is their regular layer or grower feed as it is properly balanced to provide correct nutrition for keeping birds healthy in all weather.

4. Ameliamychicken

Sep 15, 2013
    Thank you I thought it would help make her warmer since It's cooked with heat and I read a few posts where people says it helps warm up their chickens.

5. EquestrianGirl

EquestrianGirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    In the winter, my girls loving getting their oatmeal every morning. I usually mix in some corn, and once in a while-a handful of raisins as a special treat.And personally, I think it does help warm them up some. It's like when we drink hot coffee or eat hot soup. I don't know about you, but I sure feel warmer after! So I think it would be similar with the chickens. They eat something warm, they warm up for a little while.

6. Ameliamychicken

Sep 15, 2013
    Thanks thats what I meant. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by