How often can I give my chicken tylan before they become immune.

crissy1079

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2015
My flock has chronic respiratory illness. These chickens are my pets so I’m keeping them. I don’t sell eggs or chickens. I’ve had a few get sick and recover after a week or less inside with Vet RX. I’ve had 2 die and now I have 2 sick inside for about 4 months now. They are swollen around the eyes and some clear liquid coming out. I’ve tried powder tylan in water, baytril orally, tylan orally, and last tylan injections. The injections really helped my bantam Cochin. Both her eyes were swollen and after the injections of tylan both eyes went back to normal for about a week. Well now 1 eye is starting to swell again. My silkie rooster also has 1 very swollen eye. His is not better after injections. I’ve also tried sinus flush, eye bright herb as tea for them to drink and tiny pills of eye bright
34E10476-7F2E-41AF-880B-3CD2DAF7A068.jpeg
for them to eat and Vet RX. My silkie rooster is 10 months old and the bantam Cochin is around 8 months old. I was thinking about trying the tylan injections 1 more time. Will they become immune to it, should I try one more time? I been researching on old forums and a lot of people say just cull they will keep getting sick. But these are my pets and you can see in the picture how far she has came along. I don’t have a recent picture of her eye that starting to swell again but I can make one.

They look rough, I'm sorry.
The chickens don't become immune to antibiotics, the pathogens become resistant - quickly.
Was the Tylan prescribed by a vet?
Have you had a necropsy and lab work to determine it is actually Mycoplasma Gallisepticum?
You should know that there is no effective treatment for CRD. Survivors will always be carriers.
People self diagnosing and randomly treating with antibiotics is how these bacteria have become resistant.
When the next bird dies, or preferably send an ailing bird to your state poultry lab for necropsy.
I don't know what state you are in but here is a list of all the states and their respective labs.
https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf
Knowing the facts provide a path forward.

I actually do not live in the USA. I live in Austria and have been to 3 different vets and can’t find one that has any good knowledge in treating chickens. Yes the tylan came from a vet. And at this point the last vet just said to cull them. The picture is of the same chicken , just showing how she improved. I have read and researched for months and can only guess this is what my chickens have CRD. I know they will always be carriers but they are my pets and I’m not killing them unless they are suffering. I don’t know of any place to send a dead bird to be tested either. No one seems to know much about chicken health care around here. I’ve asked many chicken owners but most are farm vets and when a chicken is sick they just cull.

My flock has chronic respiratory illness. These chickens are my pets so I’m keeping them. I don’t sell eggs or chickens. I’ve had a few get sick and recover after a week or less inside with Vet RX. I’ve had 2 die and now I have 2 sick inside for about 4 months now. They are swollen around the eyes and some clear liquid coming out. I’ve tried powder tylan in water, baytril orally, tylan orally, and last tylan injections. The injections really helped my bantam Cochin. Both her eyes were swollen and after the injections of tylan both eyes went back to normal for about a week. Well now 1 eye is starting to swell again. My silkie rooster also has 1 very swollen eye. His is not better after injections. I’ve also tried sinus flush, eye bright herb as tea for them to drink and tiny pills of eye bright View attachment 1271728 for them to eat and Vet RX. My silkie rooster is 10 months old and the bantam Cochin is around 8 months old. I was thinking about trying the tylan injections 1 more time. Will they become immune to it, should I try one more time? I been researching on old forums and a lot of people say just cull they will keep getting sick. But these are my pets and you can see in the picture how far she has came along. I don’t have a recent picture of her eye that starting to swell again but I can make one.
Antibiotics can help if the pathogen is not mutating and if he needs the antibiotic. A virus takes more time (and its own time) where a bacterial infection needs an antibiotic. Antibiotics do flush the system of normal flora (bacteria) that is a good bacteria that helps fight off infection in the first place.. obviously your birds are sick. If the antibiotic is not helping now it could be the wrong type of antibiotic or you could go to the vet to see for sure if it's viral or bacterial. They could do lab work, swabs or chest x ray if it's a respiratory infection.

Good luck your a very good chicken owner and they are lucky to have you!!

Thanks so much for the reply. The last vet I saw seemed to be the most knowledgeable, she is the one I got the tylan from. After my Cochins eye started to swell again and the rooster was not better she said she didn’t know what else to do and I asked if I can bring them in to be tested and she said no there’s nothing else she can do. I just can’t find a vet around me that wants to treat chickens. And this last vet was an hour away. So do you think another round of tylan injections will help my Cochin, it helped the first time dramatically. But after about 1-2 weeks one eye started to swell again. The rooster seems to be getting better with no antibiotics, just using holistic stuff on him now. His eye has gone down a lot this past week. But the Cochin doesn’t seem to respond to holistic. The Cochin only responded well to tylan injections. She ended her last injections about 2 weeks ago. So I’m thinking about giving her another round. Just don’t want to be keeping her healthy and alive giving her tylan once a month. Doesn’t seem like much of a life for her.

Thanks so much for the reply. The last vet I saw seemed to be the most knowledgeable, she is the one I got the tylan from. After my Cochins eye started to swell again and the rooster was not better she said she didn’t know what else to do and I asked if I can bring them in to be tested and she said no there’s nothing else she can do. I just can’t find a vet around me that wants to treat chickens. And this last vet was an hour away. So do you think another round of tylan injections will help my Cochin, it helped the first time dramatically. But after about 1-2 weeks one eye started to swell again. The rooster seems to be getting better with no antibiotics, just using holistic stuff on him now. His eye has gone down a lot this past week. But the Cochin doesn’t seem to respond to holistic. The Cochin only responded well to tylan injections. She ended her last injections about 2 weeks ago. So I’m thinking about giving her another round. Just don’t want to be keeping her healthy and alive giving her tylan once a month. Doesn’t seem like much of a life for her.
Your rooster may have a better immune response to the antibiotic. I would try it again for the hen. That's the tough part that almost no one takes care of chickens.. same here I'm in the US I have a vet who is sometimes in the office who cares for chickens.

Last edited:
I actually do not live in the USA. I live in Austria and have been to 3 different vets and can’t find one that has any good knowledge in treating chickens. Yes the tylan came from a vet. And at this point the last vet just said to cull them. The picture is of the same chicken , just showing how she improved. I have read and researched for months and can only guess this is what my chickens have CRD. I know they will always be carriers but they are my pets and I’m not killing them unless they are suffering. I don’t know of any place to send a dead bird to be tested either. No one seems to know much about chicken health care around here. I’ve asked many chicken owners but most are farm vets and when a chicken is sick they just cull.
Call the Austrian Agriculture Ministry. I guarantee they can put you in contact with a poultry diagnostics lab.
https://www.bmnt.gv.at/
I'm also sure there is a university in Österreich that has a veterinary school.
I know there is a University of Veterinary Medicine in Vienna.
I send all my birds to be tested to the University of Missouri Veterinary School.
State labs here will send a FedEx label for expedited shipping of the bird.
In most places around the world, veterinarians aren't the best places to take a chicken because good avian vets are very uncommon and those with poultry experience are even rarer. The reason is that most vets who went to school for poultry health and medicine end up working in the commercial poultry industry.

Last edited:
Update #1. Sorry for late for the update but thought I’d give it since I always read old threads to see what worked for different things. So a second dose of tylan injections on my bantam Cochin hen worked!! She is 100% better and back with the flock. My rooster still has a puffy eye with some puss coming out even after he got a second round of tylan injections. But he looks much better and can now open and see out of his bad eye. So I will give another update when he is all better. I’m not giving up on him. I’m now treating him with eye bright tea cleaning his eye with it and giving him some orally twice daily. I will post some updated pictures soon.

Here are pictures of them at thier worse and how they look now.

Attachments

• EE721033-9160-4BF6-A248-8E55F89E82DC.jpeg
    EE721033-9160-4BF6-A248-8E55F89E82DC.jpeg
    455.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 18A9EAF2-0050-495A-86CC-5E39ECC32726.jpeg
    18A9EAF2-0050-495A-86CC-5E39ECC32726.jpeg
    658.7 KB · Views: 24

Back
Top Bottom