How often can i give my chickens pumpkins

Frankm

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2015
Manchester TN
I have about 45 chickens and thought I would give them a pumpkin to peck at, well they went to town on it. How often can I give them one? I feed them layer pellets and cracked cord, plus some greens or fruit almost every day as a treat before I collect the eggs.

When I have grown pumpkins I just put them in one at a time. After the first one it seems to take them longer and longer to finish one up. Towards the end the pumpkins can sit there for quite a while till they are gone. I would hold off giving them a lot of other extras at least at first till they slow down on the pumpkin, so the diet is more balanced.

When I have grown pumpkins I just put them in one at a time. After the first one it seems to take them longer and longer to finish one up. Towards the end the pumpkins can sit there for quite a while till they are gone. I would hold off giving them a lot of other extras at least at first till they slow down on the pumpkin, so the diet is more balanced.

This is what I do, too. Just dole them out and let them eat as they're interested. When they slow down, quit feeding the pumpkin for a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom