How often do BPR's lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Couture Family, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Couture Family

Couture Family Out Of The Brooder

My BPR just started laying this week. Sunday she laid before 10:am, Monday she laid at like 2:pm, Tuesday she laid at 5:pm Wednesday she didn't lay. Thursday she laid at like 10:am, but today... nothing?

So she skipped two days this week and her times are not consistent. What can this mean?

I have four other birds two of which are also laying (everyday) and the last hasn't started yet. They are all on a complete organic layer feed. They also free range and get treats of organic veggies almost everyday. The other girls have really hard egg shells so there is no problem there. So I'm not sure what's going on with Greta.

Any ideas?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

When a pullet just starts laying it takes a month or so for them to become regular. No worries.

As far as how frequent a "breed" lays, this depends upon many factors. Not all strains of a breed are the same. Some are selected and bred for higher laying rates while with other strains, the emphasis may be upon being meaty while still other strains may have been bred with an eye toward mainly being very showy and pretty.

Regardless, even among birds within a strain, each one is an individual. They will perform differently. Blanket statements simply cannot be made. Here's to hoping your pullet is healthy and lays well for you.

3. Couture Family

Couture Family Out Of The Brooder

Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure weather to worry if she was lacking something or what it could be. So thank you for putting me at ease.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You are very welcome. We keep and breed Barred Rocks and we enjoy them and I'm sure you will as well.

5. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Quite often!

6. Aronia

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    #Very cute!

7. Aronia