How often do broodies not cover all the eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Break an Egg, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have a broody buff o sitting on some eggs, but I tried to give her a few more, and they are sticking out, I'm worried that they all won't hatch. She's probably sitting on maybe at the most 10 eggs, and I don't think this is too much. Should I just kick her off to let her rearrange the nest?

2. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yay!!! I just checked on her and she re-arranged her body to cover all the eggs. This is my first real broody. I did have a girl go broody about a month ago, but I moved her because she set up shop outside of my backyard, this broke her.

Now my 8 month old Buff O is sitting on 3 phoenix eggs and 4 OEGB x phonenix eggs.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Have you tried lifting her up, seeing how much space is left under her? I often find that my girls can't take much over 9 eggs without having some poke out. (although the larger Marans can take up to 15 or more)

But, otherwise no, I don't think it is safe at all for eggs to be sticking out. Those ones never go fertile or hatch for me, even if they are rotated inward on a daily basis.

4. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:I am thinking 10 at the most because I gave her 7 eggs (4 were OEGB eggs) and since I did get 1 brown egg, the others could have only laid 3 more.

My husband keeps telling me to leave her alone, let her do her thing. He's just as excited as I am, but he has a better way of not worrying all the time.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If she`s a full sized BO, then she should cover 10 eggs easily. However, it`s really a bad idea to add eggs after she has started incubating. The reason is a staggared hatch. She may hatch the first eggs and leave the nest with the chicks before the new eggs hatch. Some folks do that and remove the first chicks, putting them in a brooder until the second batch hatches, then put the first ones back with mom. Never a good idea to staggar hatches though...........Pop

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I am thinking 10 at the most because I gave her 7 eggs (4 were OEGB eggs) and since I did get 1 brown egg, the others could have only laid 3 more.

My husband keeps telling me to leave her alone, let her do her thing. He's just as excited as I am, but he has a better way of not worrying all the time.

Hubby has the right idea. Leave her alone and she`ll handle it.........Pop

7. Break an Egg

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Quote:Yeah the egg he was sitting on wasn't fertile. She hasn't been with a rooster that's why I gave her the other eggs last night. She just started the broodiness yesterday. I was just waiting to see if she was going to go to bed or stay in her nest. Since she stayed on the nest, I figured I may as well oblige her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by