How often do EE's go broody?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninjascrub69, Nov 6, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Im going to buy hatching eggs on ebay in the spring, and wanted to know if my EE's would be reliable broodies.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Not at all. If they're hatchery based stock (most EE's are) then there's very little chance, as 1) hatcheries breed out broodiness and 2) most of them just plain don't have the drive. Not even my own created EE's go broody much. Unless they're half Araucana.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If your EEs are related to my W/BW Ameraucanas, they could be good broodies.

I have a couple of hens who don't want to stop being broody.

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    ninjascrub mine never went broody for the 5 years ive had them not once..... ohhhh and your pic is pretty!! wat is it??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
  5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    My EE's have never gone broody. My Araucana's seem to stay broody.

Lanae

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Two of my three (feedstore, so not sure which hatchery) EE's have been broody. The non broody EE needs to be culled as she has always layed thin shelled eggs and developed into an egg eater. One of the broody girls raised three batches of chicks for me this year--one of her own, one of turkey's that she hatched and one peachick that I put under her and she adopted. The other broody EE raised two batches and I broke her once.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one EE/BO cross who goes broody but none of my "purebred" EEs have ever gone broody.

8. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I have only had a dozen or so EE's over the years, and none of them ever went broody.

9. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Thanks y'all!
    I guess i'm going to have to rely on my OEGB, and my modern game bantam to hatch all the eggs.

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Thanks for starting this thread. With two of my three being chronically broody all summer I was really surprised by the results. If anyone had asked me about it I would have said that they're a very broody "breed" before reading all the other posts, and it looks like I wouldn't have been giving very accurate information. I guess my girls just didn't get the memo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by