How often do "mutt" hens lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Appytaz, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have a "mutt" that is about a year old and I have noticed that she seems to lay a little later every day and then skips a day. That got me thinking about how long it takes a hen to lay??? I figure it must be a little over 24 hours - just not sure how far "a little over" is? Just one of those weird thoughts that comes from only having 2 hens and waiting daily for that 1 egg [​IMG] The other hen hides hers very well and then disappears to sit on them. (they are freerangers)

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I think it is 25-26 hours, and usually 6 days in a row.

3. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    That sounds about right. It is usually a couple of hours later each day.
    Thanks!

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    It depends on the hen. Some are better layers than others. As they get older the laying may slow down also. I have some geriatric hens that still lay but not every day. I have some young leghorns that lay every day without fail.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree with the other posts. This is true, the breeds can make a differance. Leghorns are known to be prolific layers. RIR's are good layers too. Rule of thumb is 25-27 hrs depending on the source.

Here is a chart that has a lot of good information. At the botton of the page are some good links too.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:+1

Depends on hen. Factors going into hen include breed, living conditions, nutrition, strain, and so on. There's a normal range and plenty of exceptions.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:+1

Depends on hen. Factors going into hen include breed, living conditions, nutrition, strain, and so on. There's a normal range and plenty of exceptions.

How true!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by