How often do pipped eggs move and chirp?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by romymgo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. romymgo

romymgo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Yesterday at 1 pm I noticed a pipped egg in the nesting box. My broody hen was out and about and when she returned she was laying in an empty nesting box... I brought in the egg and i could hear chirping and moving. I placed the egg under the heat lamp and i haven't heard chirping for more than 10 hours. I'm worried that I might have overheated the chick [​IMG] It's been about 15 hours since I moved the egg inside under the heat lamp.

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    just a question... why did you take the egg away from the hen? My hopes aren't too high for the chick if there is no longer chirping or movement

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    In order to hatch a chick needs not only warmth, but also humidity. Like Hillaire, I also wonder why you decided to remove the egg from the nest?

4. romymgo

May 19, 2015
    I have two broody hens at the moment that have already killed off two other baby chicks. Sorry, should have explained that earlier. This is the first time I caught the broody hen away from the nest. I also found it strange that the hen didn't go back to its regular nest and instead settled for the empty nesting box.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Maybe in future it would be better to only have one hen sitting on eggs at a given time. Search for broody buster in the search box if you are unsure how to break a broody hen.

1 person likes this.
  6. romymgo

May 19, 2015
    Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by