how often do they lay

txmel

Songster
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
boerne, tx
ok i know that certain breeds lay more often than others. so my question is how often does a standard size cochin lay. i have one and i thought she layed 2 eggs about 3 to 4 weeks ago and then i thought she layed again this monday but i'm not sure if it was her or my light sussex ( who by the way is the only other hen laying right now since the other 2 went on strike)
sad.png

any thoughts as to how to tell? i have only been getting one egg a day. my cochin is about 27 weeks old.
thanks

Last edited:
You can try to watch which one goes into the coop singing the egg song if you have that kind of time on your hands. I'm trying to figure out which out of 11 pullets are laying, I now have 4 laying and it driving me nuts not knowing which pullets are laying, I have 20 week olds and 23 week old pullets and I think some of the younger ones are laying before the older ones but they lay while I'm at work, so on the weekend I work in the yard and try to watch which ones go in and out of the coop, I go check the nest boxes as soon as they come out, I've only caught two of the 4 laying so far.
barnie.gif
But, I love those fresh eggs!
droolin.gif

I don't have cochins so I really don't know.. But many things are factors in the egg laying of each bird NOT just the breed. Things such as age, food, heat or other kinds of stress, time of year, molt, health and I am sure there are others... The only way to know IF your bird is laying for sure is to isolate that bird.. It will take a few days/weeks for her to settle down --from being moved--before she starts laying and then you MIGHT get the answers.. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom