1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how often do you bathe silkies ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PaigeHgibson, May 18, 2011.

1. PaigeHgibson

PaigeHgibson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have a show coming up and I am showing all my splashes
    Right now they get a bath every 2 weeks
    should i be doing it more often ????

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    i've never been to a show, but I know bathing too often can wash away the natural oils that keep the skin and feathers healthy.

My silkies have possibly never been bathed in their life, they take care of themselves with lots of dirt bathes and preening and are perfect little white puffballs with the odor of cut grass.

I would wash them just before you are ready to show them, but otherwise rather seldom.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  3. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    never thought of that , thank you i will keep that in mind [​IMG]

4. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    i agree with TinkleTurkey definitely don't wash them TO much or they will not have a chance to replace there natural oils... i generally bathe my silkies about 1 week before the show.

5. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I will start doing that , sounds alot easier too

6. kera!

kera! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Navajo County
    Also they say to feed them Omega oils a few weeks before a show it helps the feathers look more shiny, I feed Flax seed (treat) and OMega fish oils to my birds and they have super shiny feathers.

7. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    I only wash a day or two before the show. The rest of it is up to proper caging, keeping their bedding clean, and proper conditioning.

8. PaigeHgibson

Mar 2, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    They are in a 12 x 12 converted shed with a 14 x 16 run and they always have clean bedding
    my whites always end up covered in dirt LOL they are chickens thats what they do
    I will start washing them just before the show I dont want to hur their feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by