How often do you candle your eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bleenie, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I usually candle mine once a week but this is my first batch of the year so i have been candling more often because i am so excited watching them grow and waiting for them to hatch. I was just wondering how often everyone else candles theirs?

I've got 36 Wyandotte & Olive Egger/Wyandotte mixes in the bator.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I candle at 10 days and that's it. I'm afraid to handle them any more than that - it would suck to drop one while I have it out of the incubator.

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I hand turn all of mine so I have to handle them everyday anyway. I sold my auto turner because my hatche rates were terrible with it.

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I candle at 7 days, 14 days, & then again just before lockdown.

5. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I don't have an auto turner either. But by incubating in egg cartons and then tilting the incubator, I not only don't have to handle the eggs, but don't even have to open the incubator, so the temp/humidity stay consistent.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I candle on day 18, when I move the eggs from the incubator to the hatcher.

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I candled again tonight and had to pull one that I had set on the 17th, It had quit. I had suspected it to be a double yolker the first time i candled & it was.

8. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Do double yokers not develop?

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They can and can hatch but it's rare. This one was growing well and I could see the two seperate embryos moving around in there but it just gave up and all the veins dissipated. From everything i have read on here and other online resources, double yolkers usually have a lot of issues during incubation, quit growing, or have problems when hatching.

Since it was a double yolker, I would rather have it give up now than have more developed chicks die later on or during hatching.

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I have been wondering about that! I had to get an auto turner, because I had some surgery. I really like the hand turning better. I usually see things before I do with the turner.
    I like to candle at day 5 and 10, then on 18.

I have some eggs in a turner now, anyone know if I can go ahead and put them on their sides to hand turn now? 6 days in..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by