How often do you change the big waterer???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I currently keep a 5 gallon waterer outside in the run under the shade and a dog bowl inside the run. I treat the water with vitamins and AVC, but I'm going to wean off the vitamins soon. They are expensive and I'm wasting a bunch when I dump the waterer out.

Right now I'm changing the 5 gallon waterer about every 2-3 days unless its scorching hot, then daily. The dog bowl gets fresh water everyday. I have a waterer that I can hook up to the hose and it will continually give me fresh water daily, but I do not have it hooked up in fear the iron/mineral pieces will clog it up. We have a well with water full of iron and minerals. [​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I change mine weekly.

I have a 3 gallon waterer for 3 hens. I have a separate 1 gallon waterer which I'll fill with ice water when it's hot. And to have as a back up so they don't run out of water.

I don't put anything else in their water. But I do lug that thing all the way to the garage to fill with fresh water. I don't trust what is leaching out of my hose to use that to fill their waterer.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I change my birds water at least once a day (No mater the size of the waterer)..

Chris

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Most of the time I change it daily, occasionally I miss a day if we are away from the house all day. It gets changed at least six times a week.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maybe I won't fill it as full and change it daily. I'm also in the habit of washing the waterer every time I change the water too.

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I change my 5 gallon waterer when it gets low (1/4 or less water from the bottom) and that is about every 3 days. I also put ACV in the water.

7. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I have a 3 gal and a 1 gal for 4 girls. I usually change mine everyother day along with avc but will change daily if hot out.

8. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:x2

9. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Every two or three days.

10. islandchix

islandchix Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2011
    Hawaii
    I have a 1 gallon for my 4 gals and change it everyday, though sometimes I skip a day if its still pretty full.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by