How often do you change your wafers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TerriLaChicks, Mar 30, 2009.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    How often do you change the wafers in your incubators? Mine is a Hovabator bought last October-had 2 staggered hatches in it. I'm wondering if I should change it out before starting to hatch this year (setting eggs tomorrow).

I did a search but was unable to locate any info or anything to say how long wafers last before you need to change them.

Thanks for any info!

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I've used my incubators for seven years now and have never changed one yet...

3. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I would think as long as it's holding the temp it's good to go??

4. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree with Laskaland... why fix it if it ain't broke?

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Because, part of me is saying just that--"if it aint' broke, etc" but the other part of me is saying, "what if?"

This is a very very very important hatch to me & I dont' want to wake up & find out (for example) the wafer went out just after going to bed last night & the eggs have been cold for 6-7 hours..

I guess "better safe than sorry" is going to prevail here; since I can't find any info on how long these wafers last, I'm going to change it out.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I read that you should change them out each year, just because.--HOWEVER one of mine is over thirty-five years old (not used in at least 30 years, and its going on its second season with me. I do think I will change it out on general priciples. I do think you should have a spare around in case of an emergency.

7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    yep keep a spare they dont cost much and wow if they go its a pain. Most cabinet bators have a back up anyway.

8. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I truly am not sure age has anything to do with it. If they dont get a hole they are good. IF they get a hole in them for some reason oops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by