how often do you clean out the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by top of the hill, Aug 22, 2011.

1. top of the hill

top of the hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Connecticut
    Hi all!
    Just curious to know how often you clean out your coops, change the litter or rake the litter, wash the walls the nests etc. Do you use bleach or Vinegar? Soap? My husband and I have been debating this for a few weeks and just want to get an overall feel for what the BYC community does.
    Thanks!

2. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I have yet to clean it out. They have been in it for a month and I just added more pine chips, but I do rake it almost every day. The chickens scratch and dust inside if its too warm out so even if I don't get the chance to rake it they mix it up a bit.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I clean my coop every week for the most part. As I go in daily, if I see a need to clean something I do. A deep cleaning, scrubbing walls etc, once a year. Water and bleach solution.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Since I have poop boards, they and the roosts are scrapped each day...takes about 2 minutes. The shavings on the floor of the coop are replaced once a year. The shavings in the nests are changed twice a year. The walls have never been washed. Keep 12 - 25 chickens at a time.

No fly problems or bad bug infestations have occurred. Been at this for a few years FWIW.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    i am going to get poop boards cuz that makes life MUCH easier. typically i clean out my coop once a month and put in fresh shavings, granted that it's summer and they are outside all day. in the winter the poop freezes so i try to get rid of that whenever i see a big pile or a pile that i can easily grab and chuck into the woods. i have yet to wash with a bleach and water solution.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. cindylo

cindylo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2011
    Idaho Falls, ID
    I change the litter in the nesting boxes slightly more than once per month, change the litter inside the coop weekly because it's a small space, and clean the run weekly. The run is a 10 X 10 dog run with a tarp roof that is going to be replaced with a more substantial roof. I'm also assembling another small coop because the newest three don't mingle peacefully with the 3 RIR's at bedtime. The deep cleaning with bleach water and a dusting with sevin powder takes place every other month.

7. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I was under the impression that deep litter methods only require changing the bedding once or twice a year, or is everyone just using shavings as floor cover?

8. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    We're using the deep method as well. I add a little DE once a week and rake the pine chips daily. I pick up anything I see, we do not have fly problems inside the coop. We haven't cleaned the run yet, but it is 30 feet long by 8 feet wide. Lots of grass and fun dust piles to play in! My "ladies" seem pretty happy besides the fact that it is 98 out today and yesterday and oh yeah, again tomorrow [​IMG]

9. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    I general do housekeeping, clean poop boards every other day and scrape the roosts. Fluff up shavings and add some to the floor and clean the nesting boxes once a month. Thorough cleaning once a year. But I have never scrubbed the walls inside the coop but sweep it down. I do however use bleach and water for the floor. I have linoleum layed down for easy cleaning. Never had a problem with bugs of any sort. My girls are only in the coop to sleep and lay their eggs. They enjoy being outside all year round. I clean their run once a month, raking and laying a thin layer of shavings (except in winter, just rake no shavings). I also use DE only when I have no babies inside the coop.

10. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    I clean the coop top to bottom with a bleach, dawn and water solution every two weeks. I wanted to try the deep litter method but I just can't bring myself to leave that poop in there [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by