How often do you dust for mites/lice?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dixiechick, Jan 4, 2009.

1. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

How often do you routinely dust for mites/lice? Only when they are present? Or more often to keep them at bay? How much is too much?

2. Jenski

Jenski Songster

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I used to do it every couple of weeks as a preventive, but my Avian vet and I chatted about this recently and he is in favor of less dusting ~ say, every 3-4 months unless there is a problem. He didn't cite the toxins in the dust so much as the delicate nature of the bird's respiratory system.

Hope that info helps. Good luck!

3. geoaware

geoaware Songster

Dec 3, 2007
    Southern Maine
    ...am I a bad chicken dad? I have never dusted my girls...they don't seem to have a problem...but should I dust them?

4. bUg_Farm

bUg_Farm Songster

Oct 24, 2008
    On a mountain
    I haven't either. I planned on doing a yearly maintenance. Perhaps I should increase it?

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I do it twice a year, once in the early spring and once in late fall

6. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    I've never routinely treated for anything. If a problem presents itself, then I deal with it.

I'm not biologist but I think there may be something to the idea that the over-application of chemicals might lead to the problem target developing resistance to the remedy.

Wayne

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by