1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how often do you feed chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dbdowst, May 17, 2011.

1. dbdowst

dbdowst New Egg

May 17, 2011
    Acworth, GA
    I am just gathering info before building a coop and getting chickens. I have a lot to learn. How often do you feed the chickens and how often must you clean the coop. I am planning on getting @ 6 chickens. Thank you.

2. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    I keep food available 24/7.

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    You leave food out for them 24/7. They 'eat like birds' - [​IMG] - ie, small amounts all day long. I clean under the roosts every other day, and rake and lay down new hay in the rest of the coop every month or two, depending on the weather.

[​IMG]

4. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Same here!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Ditto. They don't eat at night once they are full grown... But the feed is available 24/7.

I use pine shavings in the coops and just toss more in there for the chickens to scratch around and keep turned every few weeks or as needed. I clean the coop out totally twice a year.

6. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Ditto.

7. Lovable Chicks

Lovable Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    We feed our laying hens in the morning but they have enough for all day. Usually gone by the time they roost. The babies dishes get filled twice a day, they always have some. Water also gets cleaned morning and night.

8. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    I dont leave food out at nite unless im sleeping in the next day. [​IMG]

9. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    24x7 and in-run only. They graze as needed and have almost no waste since moving to pellets from crumbles.

10. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I too keep my feeder filled 24/7 and change the water daily. They do not eat any more than they want at the time and so far it has worked for about 12 years....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by