how often do you feed chickens?

dbdowst

Hatching
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Acworth, GA
I am just gathering info before building a coop and getting chickens. I have a lot to learn. How often do you feed the chickens and how often must you clean the coop. I am planning on getting @ 6 chickens. Thank you.

You leave food out for them 24/7. They 'eat like birds' -
lol.png
- ie, small amounts all day long. I clean under the roosts every other day, and rake and lay down new hay in the rest of the coop every month or two, depending on the weather.

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
Ditto. They don't eat at night once they are full grown... But the feed is available 24/7.

I use pine shavings in the coops and just toss more in there for the chickens to scratch around and keep turned every few weeks or as needed. I clean the coop out totally twice a year.

We feed our laying hens in the morning but they have enough for all day. Usually gone by the time they roost. The babies dishes get filled twice a day, they always have some. Water also gets cleaned morning and night.

I too keep my feeder filled 24/7 and change the water daily. They do not eat any more than they want at the time and so far it has worked for about 12 years....

Back
Top Bottom