How often do you give treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Watermelon_Gypsy, May 7, 2011.

1. Watermelon_Gypsy

Watermelon_Gypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    I'm just curious how often you guys are giving your chicks treats. We have 5 standards that are 3 almost 4 weeks old - I've just barley started giving them treats but am not sure how often I should be doing it. [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Every day or every other day I chop up some grass for the girls to the length of 2-3 inches to prevent crop impaction (long grass can ball up in the crop).

They are like cows and love to eat grass.

They get all our available kitchen scraps every day. Some days, no scraps are available.

I mix my own feed, so they get a WIDE variety of food every day (see my BYC page if interested). They need grit available when getting treats (either from the soil if free ranging or some you provide).

3. Watermelon_Gypsy

Watermelon_Gypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    They have been in their coop for the last two days during the day - we have a chicken tractor so they have lots of grass! lol We've been giving them grit for the last week in preparation of being outside & being old enough to get treats. I just mix it with their crumbles. And thanks, I'll check out your page! I love seeing what other people do with their hens [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  4. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Mine absolutely love oatmeal. It is to the point that they recognize the cylindrical shaped container and come running when I enter the back yard with it. I give them a handful almost everyday.

5. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I generally don't give my babies treats....well I do, but they don't eat them. I feed my grown chickens table scraps. With 3 kids, someone is always picky about something I have fixed. Crusts, oatmeal, mac n cheese (a chicken favorite) and don't judge me for this last one because I didn't do it, my husband did but boy did they love it....ready for it?..........the left over carcass from a rotisserie chicken. We had read that it is great protein for them but I just thought it was sooooo wrong. I went to grab it out of their pen and it was picked clean!!!!!!

6. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    we give our chicks a treat session once a day. We'll bring them worms, strawberries or something new. It is never very much as they are still young and we don't want them replacing dinner with snacks. After the session, we give them more grit. They looove grit. [​IMG]

7. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    Every few days I feed mine cereal in the morning. I work at a restaurant, so they get some leftovers and messed up orders a few times a week. They love spaghetti!

8. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    My wife insists that she can not go visit the six week old chicks without bringing them treats. It ranges from watermelon, blueberry muffin with yogurt, live mealy worms, or anything else she can find at the time. When the chicks see her coming they seem to be jumping up and down for joy and when she sits down in the run they crowd all over her while she hand feeds them with a silver spoon. This raising chicks is just crazy, however, I would agree that giving them a chicken carcass has gone over the edge.

1 person likes this.
  9. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Yes I agree. I told him I would have no part in it. When he wasn't looking I ran out to trash it but it was too late. They were licking their fingers. [​IMG]

10. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

As someone else said... wrong... very wrong.

Last edited: May 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by